We all love those overly indulgent dishes that just scream comfort food.
You know, the ones that are smothered in cheese, packed with carbs and taste just like they have come straight out of your mother’s kitchens.
This cheesy potato and beef casserole dish is exactly that.
Packed with lean beef mince, carrots, courgette, onion, garlic and spinach, this recipe is bursting with flavour and is most certainly a winter warmer.
While this recipe is still indulgent, it is lighter in calories and is great for banging in the oven if you’ve got family and friends coming round for a weekend feast.
Take a look at our other Comfort Food Friday recipes for more tasty ideas.
Cheesy Scotty Brand potato and beef autumnal casserole
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 courgette, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 500g 5% lean beef mince
- 400g chopped tomatoes
- 250ml beef stock
- 1 tsp mixed herbs
- 125g spinach
- 700g Scotty Brand potatoes, finely sliced
- 100g lighter cheddar, grated
- Fry all the chopped vegetables in a large frying pan until they are soft for about 10 minutes.
- Next add the mince and gently cook the mince until it is nicely browned.
- Once the mince is browned, add the chopped tomatoes, stock, herbs and simmer gently, cooking for 20 minutes with the lid off.
- After 20 minutes add the spinach to the pan and allow to wilt down.
- Pour the vegetable and mince mixture it into a large baking tray and top with the sliced potatoes, they will overlap and there will probably be enough for several layers.
- Cover with aluminium foil and bake for 40 minutes in the oven at 160 Fan/180C/350F/Gas Mark 4.
- After 40 minutes, remove the dish from the oven, remove the foil and scatter the grated cheese over the top.
- Bake for a further 25 mins, uncovered, until golden and delicious!