The Health and Safety Executive has launched an investigation into how a Dundee father-of-three was killed on an Aberdeen construction site.
Ian Walker, of Earlston Avenue in Ballumbie, died on Wednesday after being crushed by a vehicle whileworking on the construction of a third crossing over the Don.
Mr Walker had three grown-upchildren: Kirsty, Steven and Andrew.
They travelled to Aberdeen to identify their father’s body.
Emergency services were called to the site of the Third Don Crossing in the Danestone area of Aberdeen around 4.45pm on Wednesday after receiving reports a worker had been injured.
However, Mr Walker died before he could be taken to hospital.
A police spokeswoman said: “A man was injured at the construction site and was subsequently pronounced dead at the scene.
“His next of kin have been informed.
“Inquiries are ongoing and are at an early stage.”
A spokeswoman for contractorsBalfour Beatty said: “Our deepest sympathies are with our colleague’s family, friends and co-workers at this time.
“We are liaising with Police Scotland and the Health & Safety Executive (HSE) to support their investigations.
“While these continue it would not be appropriate to comment further.”
A spokeswoman for the HSE confirmed that an investigation into the cause of the accident will take place.
She said: “HSE is aware of the incident and we are speaking to the officer who is dealing with the incident.”
Mr Walker’s family were too upset to speak to the press.
Mr Walker was a member of the union UCATT.
Secretary Harry Frew said: “Theconstruction industry is a dangerous one and it is very sad when someone is killed while at work.
“Our sympathies are with MrWalker’s family, friends and colleagues at this time.”
Aberdeen councillor Ross Grant said: “It is shocking news.
“We will be liaising with the contractors to make sure that his workcolleagues are being offered any support that they require and certainly that the family is being suitably supported as well.”
An Aberdeen City Council spokeswoman said: “We offer our deepestcondolences to the family.
“We are working with the police and HSE to establish what happened.”
The new £18 million bridge will link the Bridge of Don and Tillydrone.