Two possible witnesses have been identified in the hunt for a man who sexually assaulted a 13-year-old girl in Angus.
Detectives are appealing for a man and woman to come forward for questioning over the incident, which happened on Sunday night in Carnoustie.
The probe is centred on a man in his twenties who was seen in Dundee Street at the time of the assault, and who may have been under the influence of alcohol.
A spokeswoman for Tayside Division of Police Scotland said: “The potential witnesses were walking together along Dundee Street in a westwards direction, towards the junction with North Burnside Street, between 9.45pm and 10.05pm when the assault on the 13-year-old took place.
“They may remember passing a garage near to a bus stop and may have seen or heard activity in the area or they could have further information that will assist with enquiries into the incident and local officers would like to speak to them.”
Officers have also renewed calls for information on the male, who was wearing a dark long-sleeved top and blue jeans.
Staff at the Belmonte Fish and Chip Shop on Dundee Street said police officers had asked if they had CCTV coverage but they were unable to help as the shop was closed all day on Sunday.
Across the street at Westfield Motors, mechanics said detectives had made a similar request there but they too were unable to assist the inquiry.
They all said the police had been tight-lipped about what had happened and they had heard nothing more about the attack.
Carnoustie councillor and Angus Provost Helen Oswald said she was “horrified” on learning of the assault.
Detective Inspector Andy Patrick said it was a “particularly distressing” assault.
He added: “We would reassure the public that we are using all available means of inquiry to identify the person responsible and we would urge anyone who has any information that may assist with our inquiries to contact us.”
Anyone who was in the area at the time or has information about the incident should contact Police Scotland on 101.