A Dundee puppy narrowly avoided death after swallowing strong medication intended for humans.
Labradoodle Luna was temporarily blinded, suffered fits and lost consciousness after eating muscle relaxant pills which had been accidentally dropped on the floor by owner Jacqui Croll.
The 51-year-old, who takes the medication for a neurological condition, was told by vets to expect the worst and was given the option to have Luna put down due to the severity of her condition.
But miraculously, the hapless hound has now made a full recovery and will celebrate her first birthday on February 17.
Jacqui said: “I first noticed something was wrong when Luna started scratching her ear, as she never scratches.
“Then she fell against the door and couldn’t even lift her head off the floor. She was being sick, too.
“I took her to People’s Dispensary for Sick Animals (PDSA) at first and they put her on a drip and anti-sickness tablets.
“We later moved her to Parkside Vets and they really looked after her there.
“She was unconscious but still being sick and some of it went into her lungs, causing aspiration pneumonia.
“The vets said the prognosis wasn’t good and I had been offered to have her put to sleep. I didn’t go along with it as I was hoping she would get better.
“Looking at her though, I didn’t even think she’d live another 10 minutes.”
At first Jacqui had no idea what caused Luna’s illness, but after vets asked about her medication it became apparent the dog must have ingested some of the tablets.
She added: “I realised some of the tablets I take must have fallen out of my hand that morning. I hadn’t noticed because I take quite a few.
“Because I was on antispasmodics, which are muscle relaxants, everything shut down and she couldn’t move.
“It was horrific, I can’t even describe how I felt.
“I’m disabled and Luna helps me so much – she gets me up in the morning.
“I’m absolutely delighted to have her back to normal.”
The incident happened on January 11 and earlier this week Luna finished her course of antibiotics.
She has been given the all-clear and will not suffer any long-term effects from her ordeal.