The funeral of a 24-year-old man who died following a house fire will take place this week.
Matthew Smith died four days after the blaze in his flat in Kirkcaldy’s Links Street.
News of the tragedy emerged after details of his funeral were announced.
A service will take place at Kirkcaldy Crematorium on Friday at 2.15pm.
Mr Smith’s neighbours have expressed shock at the death of such a “friendly lad”.
The young man had been in the flat when the fire broke out on April 17.
The alarm was raised and he was treated by paramedics at the scene before being taken to Victoria Hospital, Kirkcaldy, where he later died.
Jolanta Godlewska, 36, who lived upstairs from Mr Smith, said she could not believe he was dead.
“I was in my house when the fire started. I had smelled smoke coming into my flat,” she said.
“I went downstairs and knocked on his door but there was no answer so I came back up the stairs and told my next door neighbour there was smoke coming from the flat.
“She phoned the fire service.”
The full-time mum said firefighters had had to knock down the door of Mr Smith’s flat to gain entry.
“Then I saw Matthew being taken to hospital in the back of an ambulance,” she said.
“I had absolutely no idea he had died. It’s very sad to hear.”
Another nearby neighbour, who did not want to be named, said Mr Smith had been a friendly lad.
“I would often see him passing and he would always say hello to you,” she said.
“It’s awful to hear he’s dead. He was just a young lad.
“Things like this put all the nonsense in your own life into perspective.
“I feel really sorry for his family too — it’s just such a waste.”
Police have confirmed there are no suspicious circumstances surrounding Mr Smith’s death.
A report will be sent to the procurator fiscal.