A £2.5 million 19th century Angus castle – which was offered to international pop star Taylor Swift – has been sold in a secret deal.
The baronial-style stately home near Forfar was purchased in March 2011 by Clarenco LLP which is the holding company of exclusive venue hire company AmaZing Venues.
Kinnettles has been operating as an exclusive-use conference, wedding and corporate events venue, with 11 letting bedrooms and a garden pavilion marquee.
AmaZing Venues instructed Colliers International to market the impressive Angus property – which hosted Wayne Rooney’s son’s christening – last summer with an asking price of offers over £2.5m.
The real estate company confirmed the baronial-style stately home has now been sold although the new owner and sale price are being kept confidential.
Colliers said it is not permitted to disclose any further details of the sale due to a non disclosure agreement between the parties.
The castle’s sale hit the headlines last year when rumours emerged that Taylor Swift was looking to buy a castle in Scotland.
Colliers tweeted the singer – whose boyfriend is Scots DJ and producer Calvin Harris – to see if it could tempt her to buy the boutique castle hotel in the heart of the Angus countryside.
Unfortunately the Shake it Off singer quickly sent out a tweet to say that she was not planning to plough her cash into a Scottish castle.
The castle was previously chosen by England football star Wayne Rooney and his wife Coleen as the setting for the christening of their son Kai in 2010.
But he and his wife had to wait five hours for the secret ceremony to start as Arctic conditions delayed the priest, choir and caterers.
The proud mum and dad killed time by giggling, kissing and going sledging together.
In the early 14th century, King Robert III granted Alexander Strachan a tract of land in Forfar which went on to become the Kinettles baronial estate.
A dated stone situated opposite the castle’s dovecot suggests that a modest two-story house occupied the site from 1678.
In the 16th century ownership of the land was passed to the Lindsays who held it for 200 years before it was passed on to Sir Thomas Moodie, the then Provost of Dundee.
The property again traded hands in the 17th century, when it was bought by the Bower family.
In 1802 the Kinnettles estate was sold to John Aberdain Harvey who built a second manor house surrounded by fine parkland.
In 1864 James Paterson bought the property and began work on the structure known today as Kinnettles Castle.