Mike Towell hid seizures from doctors months before tragic death after bout

© SNSMike Towell.
Mike Towell.

Boxer Mike Towell hid his history of seizures from doctors four months before his death, a hearing has heard.

The fatal accident inquiry (FAI) heard medical notes from a visit to see doctors following a seizure at his home in May 2016 stated Mr Towell, who was accompanied by his mother Tracey, said it was his “first episode.”

The notes also said he lied and claimed he did not have a driving licence.

The inquiry, held at Glasgow Sheriff Court, had earlier heard Mr Towell suffered two seizures in 2013, and had been subsequently advised to stop boxing and driving as well as being signed off work.

However, he had brushed off the episodes and refuted a suggested diagnosis of epilepsy, as well as declining further tests after an MRI scan proved inconclusive.

Mr Towell died in hospital after being removed from the ring at the end of a televised fifth round loss to Welshman Dale Evans in Glasgow on September 29, 2016.

Questioned by solicitor Mark Fitzpatrick on behalf of NHS Tayside on her recollection of the May 2016 discussion with doctors, Mr Towell’s mother, Tracy Towell said she was present but said: “I don’t remember that conversation.”

Mrs Towell was also questioned by Mr Fitzpatrick about her account of a visit to Ninewells Accident and Emergency on September 11, a few weeks before his death.

He had been taken to the hospital by a friend after a sparring session in which he could only last three rounds at his training centre at 1314 Boxing Club in Stirling.

Mrs Towell said her son had a severe headache and was in “agony” and “clearly in distress” while waiting to be seen by doctors.

She said he had a jumper wrapped round his head while sitting on the ground.

She added he was “begging” for a brain scan but was advised to see his GP the following day, where he was prescribed aspirin.

Becoming visibly frustrated, Mrs Towell declared: “If you had fallen over on the pavement outside and split your head open, you would be given a scan but you come in after three rounds boxing with a headache and you don’t?

“I never took him out my sight. He was so bad.

“He was begging for a scan. He said ‘this isn’t normal – there’s something wrong with my head.'”

He “refused” to spar after the incident for fear the headache would return, according to Mrs Towell, and did not enter a ring again until his televised bout on September 29.