A pet owner has spoken of her relief after firefighters rescued her dog and neighbour from a blaze at a city centre flat in Perth.
Murphy, the border terrier, was carried to safety after emergency services raced to the scene of the fire on North Methven Street shortly after 11am on Monday.
The fire broke out in the adjoining flat and its female occupant was also helped from the building.
Yvonne Dempsey, Murphy’s owner, was shocked when she got the call at work to say her neighbour’s flat was on fire and her pet needed rescued.
Firefighters had to give the small dog oxygen at the scene after carrying it from the flat.
Yvonne said: “I just got such a fright. I’ve never been so happy to see his wee face.
“I held him as he was getting the oxygen. He’s a wee rescue dog and I’ve had him for about the past eight or nine years.
“He’s such a good wee thing. When we got him from Pads (Perthshire Abandoned Dog Society) he was the most timid thing.”
Yvonne said her neighbour contacted her to let her flat was on fire and that firefighters were aware Murphy was in the building.
“I’m just glad she (the neighbour) is out as well. She’s lovely,” said Yvonne.
Yvonne said she did not expect to be able to get back into her flat until at least Tuesday and Murphy has been sent to her mum’s house to recover.
Firefighters and police officers shut down North Methven Street for nearly two hours as they brought the blaze under control.
It’s believed it started in a storage cupboard.
Matt Henderson, who owns WTG Henderson Jewellers on the street, dialled 999 when he saw the smoke coming the apartments above his shop.
He said: “I was out the back and saw smoke coming from the property and then I came round the front and phoned 999.
“The girl was leaning out the window. I was trying to calm her down and said that I had phoned the fire brigade.
“At the back you could see the ash and the smoke and the orange of the flame.”
The Scottish Fire and Rescue Service (SFRS) sent four appliances to tackle the blaze before leading the resident and Murphy to safety.
A spokesman at the scene said the woman had been checked by the ambulance service as a precaution and confirmed a dog had been given oxygen at the site.
He also thanked local businesses on the street who had provided facilities and provisions to firefighters while they were at the scene.