Once described as “a Tayside signpost on the North Sea”, Scurdie Ness lighthouse has stood against the elements in peace and war since the late 1860s.
It was built after 74 local inhabitants of the seafaring community of Ferryden petitioned the Commissioner of Northern Lighthouses in 1867 to establish a light on Montrose Point due to the numerous vessel wrecks and great loss of life along that coast.
David and Thomas Stevenson, the Northern Lighthouse Board’s resident engineers, were appointed to construct the tower with bricks brought to the site by ship from Alloa.
Stone for the base came from a quarry in the Benholm area above St Cyrus.
The work was finished in early 1870 and the lamp was first lit at 6pm on March 1 the same year.
Large crowds gathered on the links and sands at Montrose to witness the event and a procession also took place to mark the occasion.
Many candles were lit in Ferryden houses and four bonfires were set alight on Rossie Island.
A fifth was lit out towards the lighthouse using old fishing boats.
The white tower is 39 metres high and there are 170 steps to the top of the tower.
Originally the light character was fixed white but in 1907 was changed to an isophase white light.
The light currently flashes white every 20 seconds and has a range of 23 nautical miles.
Scurdie Ness was only illuminated during the Second World War when requested by the Royal Navy.
The white tower had to be painted black by one lighthouse keeper during the conflict with Nazi Germany to prevent the Luftwaffe using it as a day mark.
Two concrete pillboxes were also built along the coastal route to Scurdie Ness to protect the estuary alongside brick-built gun shelters which were manned by the Home Guard.
On Sunday, the lighthouse at the southern end of Montrose Bay will celebrate 150 years since it first started to protect the lives and vessels of mariners along the coast.
Throughout 2020 there will be events running in conjunction with the local community to mark the distinguishing landmark.
Montrose Port Authority will kick off the celebrations on Sunday with a salute of honour.
Throughout the day ships resident in port will be flying their masts and shortly before 6pm the pilot ship will make its way out towards Scurdie Ness.
At 6pm all ships both large and small will sound their horns as a mark of thanks.
John Aitken, Montrose Port’s honorary archivist, said: “As part of the official ceremonies at the first lighting of Scurdie Ness at 6pm on March 1, members of Montrose Harbour Trust went down the South Esk on the steam tug Teaser to witness the occasion.
“To reenact this seems a fitting tribute to the treasured local landmark.”
Discussions are also in place with the Ferryden community for further events throughout the year.
A parade is being proposed and Angus Alive have also just opened a new display within Montrose Museum showcasing the history of the lighthouse.
Berwick-upon-Tweed can be seen from the summit on a clear day.