An incident which saw an ambulance called for a drunk who almost fell unconscious into a burn at an Angus music festival has prompted a ban on people bringing their own alcohol to this year’s event.
There were also reports of a small number of people, who may have gatecrashed the event, being abusive to organisers of last year’s Music at the Mill festival.
This year’s event will go ahead on August 26 and 27 at Barry Mill, near Carnoustie, with the organisers bringing in security and first aid staff and only allowing drink bought on site from a mobile bar to be consumed.
The Friends of Barry Mill started the music event nine years ago to raise money to maintain the National Trust of Scotland property.
A spokesman for the group said: “We have a responsibility to ensure that the event goes ahead safely. People can have a few drinks but the alcohol situation has to be controlled.
“Unfortunately last year a few people gatecrashed and their behaviour was what you might see on an average Friday night at closing time but not the sort of thing we want to encourage.
“If we were to put the event on in the same way we did last year and something more serious was to occur then the event would probably get closed down.”
The mobile bar on site, being provided by the Bespoke Bar, has agreed to donate a significant part of its takings to Barry Mill.
However, the change of policy has attracted some criticism on social media from people planning to attend the festival.
The Friends spokesman added: “There have been comments like we’re being greedy. We are raising money for charity. Nobody is lining their back pocket. The Bespoke Bar is donating a percentage of their takings to us.
“I feel we’ve done the right thing by announcing what we are charging and the change to the alcohol policy before people buy a ticket. We are being transparent.
“A few people who weren’t able to conduct themselves in a proper manner under the influence of alcohol have ruined it for everyone else.
“Somebody drank so much last year that they almost fell in a burn unconscious. I personally had to pull him out from the side of the burn and then we had to call an ambulance.
“From a health and safety point of view the BYOB arrangement was abused by a few people so we’ve had to react to that.”
People can still bring picnics and soft drinks to the event, which will run from 5 to 10pm on Saturday and from noon to 5pm the following day.
A National Trust for Scotland spokesperson said: “We are really grateful for the ongoing support of the Friends of Barry Mill.
“We’ve worked with them to make a few changes to this popular local event to make it even more fun for everyone involved.
“There have been some changes to the event layout and for the first time a local pop-up bar provider will be taking care of refreshments. We hope that 2017’s event is more successful than ever.”