Two cats have been put to sleep after suspected antifreeze poisonings in Glenrothes.
Animal welfare charity Scottish SPCA said antifreeze caused cats and dogs to suffer a “very slow and painful death”.
Scottish SPCA senior inspector Steven Gray urged the public to store and dispose of antifreeze responsibly and highlighted the danger it posed to animals.
The two cats died within weeks of each other.
It is believed they both ingested antifreeze in or around Laverock Path in Glenrothes.
The first was humanely put down after being found unresponsive by its owner and another, Bella, was euthanised after taking ill.
Mr Gray said: “We were first alerted to the potential poisonings on February 12 in the Laverock Path area of Glenrothes.
“The owner had found their cat unresponsive and upon examination by a vet, they found that a large amount of antifreeze had been ingested.
“Unfortunately, following veterinary advice, the decision was made to put the cat to sleep.
“The second incident happened on February 24 on the same street where a cat had to be put to sleep after being taken to the vet in a poor condition. No post-mortem was carried out but all of the symptoms indicate antifreeze poisoning.
“We would urge everyone to be vigilant with their disposal of antifreeze as this is a substance that is highly poisonous to cats and dogs and causes a very slow and painful death.
“It could be that these cats are accessing a garage or area where antifreeze is not stored safely so we are appealing for local residents to please check anywhere that they think might be a risk.
“It is essential that everyone stores antifreeze out of reach of cats and other animals.
“There are strict guidelines for use and anyone who uses this substance to cause deliberate harm is committing an offence.”
Anyone with information is urged to contact the confidential Scottish SPCA animal helpline on 03000 999 999.