Bomb disposal experts will sweep allotments in Fife for ordnance after gardeners dug up grenades in their plots.
Ground in the Leven allotments has had to be cleared of vegetables at the peak of the growing season, in a decision “not taken lightly” by Fife Council.
Access to the site will be restricted from Wednesday.
The company commissioned to do the work is 1st Line Defence, which works UK-wide to deal with unexploded bombs and munitions.
Allotments officer Peter Duncan said: “Unfortunately this means we now have to carry out a full intrusive survey of the plots.
“We’ve contacted plot holders directly to apologise for the inconvenience and have met with many, both on site and at an arranged meeting, to talk over the advice and support we can provide during this period of disruption.
“Site access is being restricted from Wednesday and we are in the process of helping people remove structures and vegetation.”
The council said initial scans of sample areas were “non-conclusive” but areas had been highlighted that require further immediate investigation.
Leven, Kennoway and Largo councillor Colin Davidson said: “I don’t think they are going to find any live ordnance devices but the council is taking extreme precaution because children use the allotments, pupils from Parkhill Primary School are there regularly.”
The site of the allotments, opened earlier this year as part of Fife Employment Access Trust’s redevelopment of the park, was used for training Polish soldiers during the war.
Councillor Judy Hamilton, convener of the community and services committee, said: “It’s such an unfortunate time of year for the plot holders to be affected in this way.
“However, the decision to close the site was not taken lightly and I would like to thank officers who have acted immediately in the interest of public safety. They have also put a range of measures in place to limit the disruption as much as practically possible.
“Once the work is completed, Fife Council will assist to minimise loss of crops and replace any plot features that are not reusable. We must also stress that access to the rest of Silverburn Park is not affected.”
The council said plot holders would receive a full refund for their allotment rental this year and officers would work closely with 1st Line Defence to complete the work and bring the site back into use as quickly as possible.