The World Championship Scotch Pie Award once again goes to Angus butcher James Pirie & Son.
James Pirie & Son also took the top prize for its sausage roll, winning a diamond title, making it the best sausage roll in Scotland.
Champion butcher Alan Pirie announced at the end of last year that he will hang up his apron and retire once a buyer for the business is found.
Finding out he won the pie championship again he said: “I am speechless and stunned.
“I was delighted to have won the competition twice and to take the Champion of Champion title, but to have once again been judged alongside literally the best pies in the land and to have come out on top is beyond my wildest dreams.
“I really do make the best Scotch Pies in the world.
“This is fantastic news and will be a huge boost to the business after a year of continuing to serve our community with fresh produce through difficult circumstances for us all.”
Scotch Pie Awards winners
The award categories included Scotch Pie, Football Pies and Savouries, Macaroni Pies, Steak Pies, Sausage Rolls, Cold Savouries, Hot Savouries, Vegetarian Savouries, Haggis Savouries, Bridies and Apple Pies.
The judging panel considered taste, texture, appearance and smell when it came to picking the best of the best.
Scottish Bakers chief executive Alasdair Smith said: “With nearly 500 of the best pies on the market submitted by 78 of the best butchers, bakers and other pie makers for judging by 60 pie professionals, all of our winners can be proud of placing so highly in the competition.”
Scottish Bakers run the competition every year to shine a light on the craft skills pie makers demonstrate in producing Scotland’s iconic pies.
The awards were presented to the winners by Carol Smillie.
These are all the winners from Courier Country:
- Andrew Kirk Butcher, Cardenden – Silver in Cold Savoury for its Steak & Black Pudding Pie
- Fisher & Donaldson, Cupar – Silver for its Steak Bridie, Bronze in Vegetarian Savoury for its Vegan Scotch Pie
- Stephens Bakery, Dunfermline – Bronze for its Scotch Pie, Gold for its Steak Bridie, Gold in Vegetarian Savoury for its Broccoli, Cauliflower & Chilli Cheese Pie
- Stuart’s Bakers & Butchers, Methil – Best Bridie in the land for its Steak Bridie
- Tom Courts Quality Foods, Burntisland – Bronze for its Steak Bridie
- Campbell’s Bakery, Crieff – Silver for is Macaroni Pie
- H W Irvine, Blairgowrie – Bronze for its Steak Bridie
- Murrays Bakers, Perth – Bronze for its Apple Pie, Gold in Hot Savoury for its Quiche
- Sugar and Spice, Auchterarder – Bronze for its Steak Bridie
- James Pirie & Son, Newtyle – Best Scotch Pie, Best Sausage Roll
- WeeCOOK, Carnoustie – Best Hot Savoury in the land for its Fishwife Pie, best Vegetarian Savoury for its Caponata Formaggio, MacLean Cup for best specialty savoury
- D H Robertson, Arbroath – Bronze for its Scotch Pie, Bronze for its Sausage Roll
- Keptie Bakery, Letham – Gold in Hot Savoury for its Chicken Curry Pie
- Clark’s Bakery – Best Cold Savoury in the land for Chicken Curry Pie, Bronze in Hot Savoury for its Babas Donnar Pie
- Goodfellow and Steven – Second runner up for Scotch Pie, Silver for its Steak Pie, Silver for its Macaroni Pie
- Grossett Butchers – Bronze for its Mince Bridie
- Nicolls Rosebank Bakery – Silver for its Macaroni Pie
- Scott Brothers – Gold for its Mince Bridie