A temporary Dundee mortuary, opened at the peak of coronavirus fears in the city, stored two bodies before closing.
The speedily-built facility at the city’s Technology Park, opened as a precautionary measure in case other mortuaries were overrun.
A similar facility set up on the Inveralmond Industrial Estate in Perth closed earlier this summer.
The team staffing the site, drawn from council construction and administration teams, has also been stood down.
The 135-capacity morgue was put together in only a few days during fears that undertakers, police and hospitals would “would become overwhelmed if infection rates were not sufficiently controlled.”
During its period of operation, the facility received two bodies that were stored “for short periods” before being returned to funeral directors.
It is understood at least one of the bodies was placed there due to very limited storage space at a city undertaker, rather than a spike in Dundee deaths from the virus.
The update on the city’s approach to additional deaths is contained on a Covid-19 update to go in front of councillors on the policy resources committee on Monday evening.
The facility, which can be ‘reactivated’ at short notice, later became the issue point for PPE for funeral directors experiencing supply shortfalls
The report said: “Dignity and respect for the deceased was at the forefront of all the preparations despite the improvised nature of the facility.
“At the time of reporting the facility has closed and volunteers returned to normal duties however it remains ready to re-activate if required.
“Whilst it was open it received two bodies that were stored for short periods before being returned to the funeral directors.
“The asset remains available, should resurgence of the virus put pressure on body storage capacity across Tayside.
Council bosses employed an external volunteer with mortuary experience as a consultant to provide professional support and advice.
The facility was declared ready three days ahead of schedule and ahead of the projected peak of the virus.
A Perth and Kinross spokeswoman said: “The mortuary facility was available for use from mid-April 2020 and was subsequently placed on stand-by as the funeral directors were able to manage the increase in death rates at their own premises.
“Contingency plans are however in place across Tayside for temporary storage, should the pandemic cause a future increase in death rates.”