A popular Halloween attraction will not return to Perth after a horrific accident last year.
A pair of youngsters escaped serious injury when a zip slide collapsed during festivities in the city centre.
The ride – dubbed the Halloween Screamer – was set up along High Street as part of the city’s annual October celebrations.
Perth and Kinross Council, which coordinated the event, has confirmed the slide will not be included in this weekend’s festivities.
The slide’s supplier and operator Mobile Zip Wire Hire had provided the local authority with copies of public liability insurance and risk assessments in advance of 2017’s street party.
A council spokeswoman said: “The incident in 2017 was confirmed as being as a result of an accidental failure in a supporting structure, leading to the zip wire dipping.
“We have refreshed the entertainment on offer at this year’s City of Perth Halloween Parade and Fun Night to help maintain the appeal of the event to revellers of all ages as part of the wider Winter Festival that runs through to February 2019.”
Perth’s Halloween party takes place on Saturday evening and features a packed programme of family fun, as well as events that are not for the faint-hearted. Some of the attractions are so scary, parts of the city will become no-go zones for children.
A stage will be set up in King Edward Street for family entertainment and local performers.
The annual Halloween parade will set off from Horsecross Plaza at 6pm, while a Junior Halloween Howler obstacle course starts at 6.30pm along Skinnergate.
There will be more live music at a second stage in the plaza, sponsored by Horizon Parking, with ska group Irritable Owls and the Steve Ferringo Band.
Organisers have lined up two events on Mill Street – at the Marks and Spencers car park – for older visitors. The Zombie Run and Tents of Doom attractions are billed for adults and teenagers only.
The show will be the first event of the busy Winter Festival, which will run through to Chinese New Year in February.
Local Conservative councillor Angus Forbes, environment and infrastructure convener, said: “I hope lots of people will come out and enjoy some suitably frightful fun this weekend in the city centre.
“There is something for all ages at the celebrations, but I would also want to stress that parts of the city will be zoned as unsuitable for children due to the scarier entertainment on offer, so parent and carer discretion is advised.”